Senior Organizer – Environment, Action Center on Race and the Economy
The Action Center on Race and the Economy (ACRE) drives campaigns that seek to win structural change by directly taking on the corporations responsible for pillaging communities of color and working-class communities and harming our environment. Through partnerships with organizations involved in local racial, economic, environmental, and educational justice campaigns, we provide strategic campaign coordination and campaign infrastructure with an explicit racial justice analysis.
The Senior Organizer is responsible for externally pushing forward ACRE’s key program areas in coordination with other ACRE staff, external partners and allies. The Senior Organizer is expected to synthesize campaign strategy, research and political education into coherent external organizing designed to advance campaigns and bring in new partners. This Senior Organizer position is focused on ACRE’s Climate and Environmental Justice work fighting fossil fuel fighting corporations (and the financial institutions that invest in them) that are destroying our planet and targeting toxic facilities and projects in Black, Brown, and Indigenous communities that contaminate our water, air, and soil.
The Senior Organizer is a Grade 2 position and will report to the Campaign Director for ACRE’s Climate and Environmental Justice.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Organizing with partners
- Support local campaigns partners are running
- Build and maintain relationships with climate and environmental justice groups
- Connect frontline groups to national campaigns against corporate polluters and financial actors fueling environmental racism and climate destruction
- Work with partners to push ACRE’s analysis
- Help lead political education trainings with ACRE’s analysis
- Represent ACRE at national campaign meetings, when appropriate
- Work with communications team to represent ACRE publicly regarding Climate and Environmental Justice campaign work, including potential media appearances
- Help convene national meetings and calls with partners or the general public
- A strong commitment to progressive social change and racial justice, a familiarity with the issues that are central to ACRE’s work and a passion for ACRE’s vision and mission
- Two years organizing experience with a union or grassroots community organization
- Experience working for or in coalition with climate or environmental justice groups a plus.
- Familiarity with climate or environmental justice issues, policies, and legislation at the local, state and federal level a plus
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and execute organizing plans
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot issues as they arise, make contingency plans, and shift plans as needed
- Willingness to work with a national team spread across multiple cities
- Strong critical thinking skills and ability to think creatively and innovatively
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in politically sensitive and high-pressure environments
- Demonstrated commitment to community and/or labor organizing and experience working with women and communities of color for social change
- Effective time management skills, including prioritizing and managing multiple tasks, with light supervision
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours and travel as needed (when it is safe to do so)
- Ability to travel (when it is safe, likely not until 2022)
- A good sense of humor
Salary scale range $66k – $87k. LGBTQ, women and people of color strongly encouraged to apply. Compensation is commensurate with experience. Position includes excellent benefits. Location is flexible but Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, San Antonio, Detroit, Washington D.C., Oakland, or San Francisco is preferred.
To apply please submit your application to “Senior Organizer – Environment” here.
If you have any trouble with the form, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and write “Senior Organizer – Environment” in the subject line.