Senior Organizer (Public Services), Action Center on Race and the Economy
The Action Center on Race and the Economy (ACRE) drives campaigns that seek to win structural change by directly taking on the corporations responsible for pillaging communities of color and working-class communities and harming our environment. Through partnerships with organizations involved in local racial, economic, environmental, and educational justice campaigns, we provide strategic campaign coordination and campaign infrastructure with an explicit racial justice analysis.
The Senior Organizer is responsible for externally pushing forward ACRE’s key program areas in coordination with other ACRE staff, external partners and allies. The Senior Organizer is expected to synthesize campaign strategy, research and political education into coherent external organizing designed to advance campaigns and bring in new partners. This Senior Organizing position is focused on ACRE’s Public Services work fighting austerity by going on offense against corporations and the wealthy who do not pay fair their share.
The Senior Organizer will report to the Campaign Director for Public Services.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Support local campaigns partners are running
- Keep track of current work partners are doing and support they may need
- Connect organizers running anti-austerity campaigns in different places with each other
- Develop relationships with new partners
- Help coordinate national components of local campaigns
- Partner with staff at the Bargaining for the Common Good Network on joint-campaign work
- Work with partners to push ACRE’s analysis
- Help lead political education trainings with ACRE’s analysis
- Represent ACRE at national campaign meetings, when appropriate
- Work with communications team to represent ACRE publicly regarding Public Services campaign work, including potential media appearances
- Help convene national meetings and calls with partners or the general public
- A strong commitment to progressive social change and racial justice, a familiarity with the issues that are central to ACRE’s work and a passion for ACRE’s vision and mission
- Two years organizing experience with a union or grassroots community organization
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and execute organizing plans
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot issues as they arise, make contingency plans, and shift plans as needed
- Willingness to work with a national team spread across multiple cities
- Strong critical thinking skills and ability to think creatively and innovatively
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in politically sensitive and high-pressure environments
- Demonstrated commitment to community and/or labor organizing and experience working with women and communities of color for social change
- Effective time management skills, including prioritizing and managing multiple tasks, with light supervision
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours and travel as needed (when it is safe to do so)
- A good sense of humor
LGBTQ, women and people of color strongly encouraged to apply. Salary range for this position is $67,000-$85,000. Location is flexible, but we prefer for this position will be based out of either Chicago, Detroit, Los Angeles, New York City, Philadelphia, San Antonio, San Francisco/Oakland Bay Area, or Washington, DC. There is a 10% cost of living adjustment for people working out of the New York City, Los Angeles, Bay Area, and DC metro areas. Position includes excellent benefits.
All new hires must be fully vaccinated before employment is able to begin at ACRE. Requests for accommodations may be submitted. Approval is at the discretion of the Co-Executive Directors.