RESEARCH DIRECTOR, ACTION CENTER ON RACE AND THE ECONOMY
The Action Center on Race and the Economy (ACRE) drives campaigns that seek to win structural change by directly taking on the financial elite responsible for pillaging communities of color and working-class communities, and harming our environment. Through partnerships with organizations involved in local racial, economic, environmental and educational justice campaigns, we provide strategic campaign coordination and campaign infrastructure with an explicit racial justice analysis. This position reports to the Chief of Staff.
- Direct strategic planning, staffing, and operations for the Research department, as well as serve as a thought partner to ACRE’s senior staff team on organization-wide priorities and direction;
- Recruit, supervise, evaluate and develop a diverse, geographically dispersed staff into high level campaigners who are strong drivers of creative strategies and tactics;
- Oversee and drive research support for campaigns across diverse geographies and within and across ACRE’s core issue areas;
- Work in close partnership with ACRE staff to develop innovative and impactful strategies and campaigns;
- Ensure all department staff have strong staff development plans and that their work plans give them ample opportunities to meet their staff development goals;
- Represent the department with external partners and allies;
- Oversee and maintain standards, including legal compliance, of research and materials;
- Serve as an organizational leader, developing a culture of commitment to and participation in program and events connected to ACRE’s mission;
- Facilitate the cross-sharing of research and campaign skills within ACRE and across the movement;
- Build a network of strategic allies and resources for the department and ACRE; and
- With research and other campaign staff, develop and execute work plans that ensure campaigns are properly staffed and resourced.
Direction and Decision Making:
This position reports to the Chief of Staff and works closely with other senior staff and with partner organizations.
Experience and Requirements:
- Minimum seven years’ experience in strategic research and campaigns and the following skills/abilities:
- Excellent writing, research and presentation skills;
- Track record of working on progressive social justice issues with a racial and economic justice focus;
- Experience in corporate research, financial analysis, public records and legal research, campaign/opposition research, data analysis, and data management;
- Demonstrated ability to develop and manage a large and growing staff;
- Demonstrated ability to work with teams and implement plans;
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, work well under pressure and deadlines, and manage multiple priorities and projects effectively;
- Demonstrated ability to build sound relationships with staff at all levels and to provide strategic advice and direction;
- Demonstrated commitment to staff development;
- Ability to mentor and support staff inside and outside ACRE with a commitment to racial and gender equity and an eye toward ensuring that marginalized staff can thrive;
- Ability to foster team cohesion and a supportive work environment while holding staff to high standards of performance;
- Willingness to travel extensively when it is safe to do so;
- Ability to effectively work and manage staff remotely;
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours; and
- A good sense of humor.
LGBTQ, women and people of color strongly encouraged to apply. Salary range for this position is $92,000-$110,000, based on experience. Location is flexible, but we prefer Chicago, Detroit, Los Angeles, New York City, Philadelphia, San Antonio, San Francisco/Oakland Bay Area, or Washington, DC. There is a 10% cost of living adjustment for people working in the New York City, Los Angeles, Bay Area, and DC metro areas. Position includes excellent benefits. We are aiming to hire for a June 1st start date.
To apply, please submit your application here. If you have any trouble with the form, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Research Director ” in the subject line.