Political Director, Action Center on Race and the Economy
The Action Center on Race and the Economy (ACRE) drives campaigns that seek to win structural change by directly taking on the financial elite responsible for pillaging communities of color and working-class communities and harming our environment. Through partnerships with organizations involved in local racial, economic, environmental, and educational justice campaigns, we provide strategic campaign coordination and campaign infrastructure with an explicit racial justice analysis. The Political Director will report to the Co-Directors and will work closely with other ACRE staff and with partner organizations. They will work with local and national political representatives to expand the impact of ACRE and move forward our political and legislative agenda.
This position will be based in Washington, DC.
Job responsibilities include:
● Developing strategies and work plans to advance our political and legislative priorities
● Working with senior staff on political projects that advance the policy and political goals of the organization
● Building relationships with key allies, coalitions, organizations, candidates, and elected officials
● Providing strategic advice to senior leadership on evolving political dynamics and strategies that advance ACRE’s campaigns and political mission
● Fundraising in for ACRE’s 501(c)(4) organization
● Representing ACRE to a wide variety of political stakeholders
● Working cooperatively with other organizations, elected officials, unions, and their political/field representatives to build local and national relationships
● Driving the political components of ACRE’s campaigns, such as local legislative strategies and federal political strategies
● Working with ACRE’s research, campaign, and communications staff to advance campaigns and build local partner capacity
● Being part of ACRE’s senior staff team and contributing to strategy discussions
The ideal candidate will have:
● A strong commitment to progressive social change and racial justice, a familiarity with the issues that are central to ACRE’s work and a passion for ACRE’s vision and mission
● A sharp analysis of the role of corporate power in extracting wealth and power from communities of color within the capitalist system
● 5+ years of organizing experience
● At least 2 years in a political role within a c4 organization or a political campaign
● Strong political network and relationships among progressive leaders and organizations
● Ability to mobilize allies in issue-based and electoral coalitions
● Excellent political analysis and communications skills, written and verbal
● Familiarity with political news media
● Familiarity with Congressional legislative process
● Ability to work both independently, and as part of a collaborative leadership team
● Familiarity with the organizing landscape nationally
● Demonstrated ability to work effectively in politically sensitive and high-pressure environments
● Effective time management skills, including prioritizing and managing multiple tasks, with light supervision
● The ability to travel extensively
● A good sense of humor
The salary range for this position starts at $99,000, which includes a 10% cost of living adjustment for the Washington, DC area. The position includes excellent benefits. LGBTQ, women and people of color strongly encouraged to apply. Compensation is commensurate with experience. Position includes excellent benefits. Extensive travel will be required. To apply please submit your application here.
If you have any trouble with the form, please email email@example.com with the position you are applying for in the subject.